People today think food is just food. They couldn’t be more wrong! Food is a vital part of life and is required for us to live. Food is used for medicinal purposes to encourage the body to heal and enhance health, wellness and vitality. Everyone requires food, and depending on the type of food, nutritional status and quantities can determine the nutritional and health state of a person. Naturopaths use Nutritional Medicine as part of their treatment plan to ensure fast effective results through giving the body what it requires. Body requirements include carbohydrates, fats, proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and water. Everyone’s nutritional needs vary depending on the size and age of a person.
I give my clients dietary advice as part of the treatment plan to encourage people to incorporate new or different foods and recipes to enhance their nutrientional status.
Benefits of using food as medicine:
- Convenient to buy from the grocery store and more cost effective than supplementation.
- Increase vitamins and minerals through the diet rather than supplements.
- Healthy nutritious foods contain more than just one or two nutrients, they have a combination which work together to be absorbed and used by the body effectively.
- Giving your body what it needs.
- Healthy dietary changes have a positive effect on your attitude towards food and life.
- What you eat reflects what you look like and how you feel. Good dietary choices improve skin texture, eye colour, and a healthy glowing appearance.
What you do on a daily basis and how you do things is your `lifestyle’. Every one has a different lifestyle, whether it’s busy or relaxed I find out what it is you do in life and work your treatment plan around these factors. For example, a lot of people find it difficult to find the time to exercise 3 – 4 times per week due to work and family commitments. As exercise is very important, there are simple ways to ensure you are getting the required amount of exercise while still carrying out your everyday commitments. This is where I can help you find a balance, which will make long term sustainable changes, decreasing stress and making health fun.
Contact Leisa for an appointment today!
Leisa Skerman is a Brisbane Naturopath who enjoys sharing her knowledge and passion for naturopathy with her readers and clients. If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment, or share it with your friends on your favourite social media using the buttons above.